Booking Through Thursday asks:
“Do you prefer a series of books or stand-alone novels?”
While there is a certain satisfaction that comes with reading a single novel, I find that I seem to gravitate towards series simply because I always want to hear more about the characters or the worlds that I have come to love.
Some of my favorite series are:
- The Black Jewels novels by Anne Bishop
- The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
- The Elemental Masters novels by Mercedes Lackey
- The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
- The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
- The Redwall novels by Brian Jacques
- The Squire’s Tales by Gerald Morris
Trilogies are in a separate category from series. I have several favored trilogies, the most notable of which is Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
Yet, despite my preference for multiple books in the same universe, it’s interesting to note that my all-time favorite read, the one that I pull off the shelf again and again, is a stand-alone book – Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice.
I think we can blame Colin Firth for that!😉